Thursday, June 19, 2014

Chili Dogs (In the Category of Want What You Have.)

I love chili dogs, and bless the gods, chili dogs still love me (digestionally speaking). I hosted my first #Tweetup cookout last Sunday, Fathers Day. It was a beautiful day for a cookout in the #NRV, and the local Tweeps are really great people. I love that the guests ranged in age from 2 to 55. I love the delicious contributions everyone made. Bacon wrapped jalapeƱo poppers still warm...amazing! I tried kale chips for the first time, and it made me feel hipster...briefly. Crab dip with pita chips, and coconut cake, corn salad, cookies from Wingdale, brie and crackers -- yum.

I made hot dogs with chili, burgers and BBQ chicken. The chili is my own recipe, l tweaked it for years, and I'm happy with the balance of sweet and heat. I promised I would share my recipe, but it's a handwritten hot mess spattered in ketchup and chili powder. I figured if I publish it here, I can pin this page to my recipe board and not have to deal with the messier original. So here I go.

Berly's Hotdog Chili

1 lb. Ground Beef
1/2 Medium Sweet Onion, diced fine
1/2 c. Ketchup OR 1/4 c. Ketchup and 6 oz. Tomato Paste (whichever you have in your pantry)
1/2c. Water
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin

Brown the beef, crumbling until fine. Drain very well and put in medium saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer covered for at least 30 minutes then uncover and simmer up to four hours until desired thickness. Serve right away, or better, refrigerate overnight. You can lose any congealed grease that has formed on the top before reheating to reduce the fat calories.  Makes about 2 cups.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment